"best" is relative, and no Linux distribution is any more secure out of the
box than any other.  Since Tomcat is written in Java, which operating system
you choose is up to you...each one is better or worse than another depending
on what you want to do.

>From the Debian FAQ, on why you should choose Debian over another Linux
distribution:
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-basic_defs.en.html#s-difference

"security" is not one of the reasons mentioned.  Even the Debian homepage
has a list of security alerts.

If you REALLY want a secure OS out of the box, choose OpenBSD.  Security is
not a product, it's a process.  An OpenBSD system loses it's secure nature
in the hands of an inept systems administrator, for example.

Sounds to me like your I.T. guys are biased towards Debian, which is fine,
and you will probably need to use Debian if that's what they are telling
you, but that doesn't make Debian (or any other Linux distribution) any more
secure than Redhat or any of the others.

Debian is fine for Tomcat, as far as I know.  Use the distribution that
meeds your needs, including the need to keep your I.T. people happy. :)

John