----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacob Kjome" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> If the class exists in a jar archive inside $TOMCAT_HOME/server/lib or
> server/classes your webapps cannot see it.  Only the container sees
> that.

Thanks Jake. One question remains - if I reference the WebdavServlet within
web.xml Tomcat seems able to find it ok in server/lib when I invoke the
servlet. If I reference MyWebdavServlet within web.xml (and MyWebdavServlet
extends WebdavServlet) Tomcat finds MyWebdavServlet but fails to find
WebdavServlet (giving the ClassDefNotFound error). Is there something in the
spec that the classloader can only load main classes and not classes that
are used as a basis for these main classes (such as WebdavServlet)?

cheers
dave