hi all,

I'd like to use the JMX in Catalina and to be able to do Context
administration with the JMX Api.

After successfully building catalina from source with jmx support I
think it can be done within a priviledged servlet, which should have
access to the MBeanServer via the Context.getAttribute Method like this:

MBeanServer server = (MBeanServer )getServletContext( ).getAttribute(
"org.apache.catalina.MBeanServer" );

Though I have some background in JMX - I had a project, which used
standard mbeans to extend an application server - I find it quite
cumbersome to get working with the Catalina Mbeans. ( pretty much
indirection - commons-modeler and so on)

Perhaps some of you can help me with one of my questions:

- Is there a context MBean I can use out of the box?
- Which MBean, if available, should I use to add a context through JMX?
- Which MBean, if available, should I use to stop/start a context
through JMX?

- Can I update the server.xml from within JMX?
I mean is it possible to persist the settings changed through JMX?

- Has anybody used a JMX Connector/Adaptor for remote administration of
Catalina?

thank you in advance

-- Jakob