First, the JDBC Driver by Microsoft is old.  It's free, but its old.  It
doesn't support JDBC 3.0.  If you are trying to implement a production
solution, you are better off with a third-party driver.  There are only 3 or
4 out there that are robust and stable enough for serious production use,
you can find links to them on the Sun site.

Second, as far as I know, the Tyrex included with Tomcat is broken, though I
may be wrong.  You want to use DBCP from the Jakarta Commons project (search
the list archives for a HOWTO), roll your own, or use any of the other
freely available pooling solutions out there (poolman, etc).  Or use the
pool that comes with the third-party driver.

Third, don't use Tomcat 4.1.2 for anything.  I can't imagine that is a
stable release.  You are better off dropping back to 4.0.4, or at least
moving up to 4.1.10, though 4.1.10 still has a few issues.  If you are
targeting deployment, I would recommend 4.0.4, though others will probably
disagree.

Fourth, a tip:  putting "URGENT" in your subject line will more than likely
cause more people to ignore your post rather than answer it.  This is a free
mailing list, and the product it supports is free.  The people on the list
are under no obligation to help you in any way, shape, or form, least of all
as a priority just because of something in the subject line.  Many of us
have been "burned" by spending a lot of time and effort helping someone who
insisted that they needed help right away, only to find out later that the
help was wasted or that the "urgent" situation wasn't really urgent in the
first place.  You will get a better response by using a subject line like
"Connection pool recommendations for SQL Server" or something similar.  Not
criticizing you, just a tip.

John