I guess some advice is better than none.

Have you checked out the Jakarta Commons DBCP pooling solution like I
recommended?  Here's a link to how it was done with MySQL:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=102225547106556&w=2

Have you checked out third-party SQL Server drivers?  The drivers I am
familiar with have fully-functional trial periods and they not only support
pooling but also JDBC 3.0.

Have you checked out open source pooling solutions besides DBCP, like
poolman?

John