mod_jserv (deprecated)

mod_proxy (no loadbalancing)
  - This is a quite old apache module that
    isn't intended as a connector but as
    a proxy (It forwards incoming request to an
    IP/Port and sends the response to the requesting
    client). I haven't tried to use mod_proxy
    but I think that you just use it to forward
    HTTP reqests to the HttpConnector (or Coyote)

mod_jk
 - Successor of mod_jserv
   the current connector for load balancing.
   AFAIK this is the most stable connector for tomcat 4.0
   and apache 1.3.

mod_webapp (no loadbalancing)
 - This connector was intended as the replacement
   of mod_jk for tomcat 4.0. As it wasn't ready
   when tomcat 4.0 was released, some peopled
   started to extend mod_jk to work with 4.0.
   From then on mod_jk started a live of it's own.
   AFAIK this connector has also the drawback this it forwards
   all requests for a webapp to tomcat (also for static
   resources).

mod_jk2
 - I think this offspring started with apache 2.
   As far as I can remember mod_jk has a design problem
   with a nulti threaded apache (AFAIK under windows
   this is the default for apache). This connector
   was announces as beta several month ago, and I'm
   not aware that this state has changed.

coyote
 - Here you have two different components:
   - CoyoteConnector is just a HTTP 1.1 Connector
     to use tomcat stand alone
     http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/coyote.html
   - Jk 2 Connector is a new Connector that implements
     the java side of the mod_jk/mod_jk2 connectors
     http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/jk.html
     http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/jk2.html

For an overview see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/connectors.html

Ralph Einfeldt
Uptime Internet Solution Center GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Hosting, Content Management, Java Consulting
http://www.uptime-isc.de