I know that Tomcat's docs *say* this and that the JSP & servlet specs
call for this but it has not been my experience!

As I have *twice* pointed out here (to no ones acknowledgement), I have
an application that runs fine under Tomcat 4.0.? but not under 4.1.12.
It fails on objects in xerces.jar.  xerces.jar implements SAX1 and I
have always included it in my WEB-INF/lib directory thouggh it was in
common/lib of Tomcat 4.0.  I use Xerces/SAX1 (Xerces 1.4.2) with
xalan.jar (Xalan 1.2.2).

Tomcat 4.1.12 used SAX2 from xmlParserAPIs.jar in common/endorsed.  I am
getting failures from Xalan 1 because (evidently) Tomcat is sending
objects from here vs. the older Xerces in my WEB-INF/lib directory.

Yes, yes, I know that this needs to be updated.  However, the Xalan API
is radically different.  For now, conversion is impossible due to short
resources and no few customer complexities.