Why do you say this? You can call the "j_security_check" service from
any jsp page, whether its the one defined in the login attribute of
web.xml or not.

<head>
<title>Login Page for Examples</title>
<form method="POST" action='<%= response.encodeURL("j_security_check") %>' >
      <th align="right">Username:</th>
      <th align="right">Password:</th>
</form>

-M.

p.s. I believe the original request that was made is stored in the users
session object. you could come at this page more than once and that
request should still be completed.