Hi!

I just encountered a problem when using the commons-logging package
together with Tomcat 4.0.3. When putting commons-loggin.jar (1.0.2) into
the $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib, in order to be available for the server
classes as well as for all web apps, a NullPointerException is thrown
when trying to retrieve a Log instance. This Exception can be tracked
down to some call to LogFactory.class.getClassLoader(), which returns null.

Ok, I read the javadocs of java.lang.Class.getClassLoader(), which says
that this method may return null, if the class is loaded by the
bootstrap class loader, but the LogFactory class is loaded by the common
class loader of Tomcat, so I don't quite understand, why null is returned.
Is this the expected behaviour? If yes I would really like to know how
Tomcat accompishes this. What's even more funny is that a class loaded
from $TOMCAT_HOME/common/classes does return the proper class loader
instance.

Best regards,
Volker.