Raj Saini wrote:

> I am not using JK2. I am using Jk. btw, why do you need the
> jk2.properties file. Your problem is some where else. jk2.properties
> is used by the apache not by the tomcat (If I am not wrong).

jk2.properties is used by tomcat, workers2.properties is used by Apache.

> From your exception is seems that you dont have common-logging.jar
> file in your $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib directory. It supposed to be part
> of the distribution. If the the file is there, then it is not inculded
> in your classpath. This also should be done automatically, if you have
> not modified any thing.

$Tomcat_home/common/lib contains the following
activation.jar           jasper-compiler.jar      naming-common.jar
ant.jar                  jasper-runtime.jar       naming-factory.jar
commons-collections.jar  jdbc2_0-stdext.jar       naming-resources.jar
commons-dbcp.jar         jndi.jar                 servlet.jar
commons-logging-api.jar  jta.jar
commons-pool.jar         mail.jar

$Tomcat_home/server/lib contains the following
catalina-ant.jar          mx4j-jmx.jar              servlets-webdav.jar
catalina.jar              mx4j.license              tomcat-coyote.jar
commons-beanutils.jar     servlets-cgi.renametojar  tomcat-http11.jar
commons-digester.jar      servlets-common.jar       tomcat-jk.jar
commons-logging.jar       servlets-default.jar      tomcat-jk2.jar
commons-modeler.jar       servlets-invoker.jar      tomcat-util.jar
jaas.jar                  servlets-manager.jar      tomcat-warp.jar
jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar    servlets-ssi.renametojar

Since this is *the* server attempting to start, I thought it would
reference server/lib before searching for classes in common/lib

BTW: this is straight out of the gzip'd tarball.