Hi Tuncay,

If I understand your task correctly, you need to develop a system that has
no graphical user interface (The point of sale machines take care of that)
but it needs to conduct transactions between those POS systems and the
database.

That is more or less what J2EE and Enterprise Java Beans were designed for.
You would need to write EJB's to communicate with your POS systems in
whatever format they use.  Those could convert the transactions to XML and
pass it on from there to other EJB's to process the data.

You can write and/or buy EJB's to perform your business logic and drop them
in the app server for deployment.  If you use one of the commercial app
servers (Webgain from BEA and WebSphere from IBM are the two biggest sellers
right now) and even some of the Open Source ones you get all the enterprise
level stuff (load balancing, failover, etc., etc.) that you need.

With J2EE a big advantage is that you are not locked into any particular
hardware/OS.  Most of the big commercial J2EE app servers run on Sun, HP,
IBM, Linux, and others.  The pure Java ones will theoretically run on
anything with a Java VM.

So if you change brands of server, you just put your app server on the new
one and deploy your apps without changing them (theoretically).

Rick