Help!

I recently tried to upgrade my version of Tomcat from 3.3 to 4.1(I also
tried 4.0). My problem is that for some reason the httpsession is lost after
redirection from https to http. I run apache in front of tomcat to handle
static content plus certificate. My webapp depend on the ability to login a
user of secure connection then redirect to an unsecure connection. I do the
usual
res.sendRedirect(res.encodeRedirectURL.....)). But after redirecting to http
protocol (to the same webapp context) the http session is null.
My webapp workes fine in Tomcat 3.3. Nothing has changed except tomcat
version and of course the tomcat conf. files. I've tried both the Coyote
connector and the ajp13 one. mod_jk and mod_jk2(which I couldn't get
working) on the apache side. I've tried Apache 1.3 and Apache 2. And I am
going insane.
My server.xml file is close to the default one, I've only added my
context(defining docbase and such). For 3.3 this worked like a charm.
Anyone??

-Henrik