On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Chris Sereda wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:16:20 -0600
> From: Chris Sereda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Random DNS Error
>
> Using Tomcat 4.0.3 and Apache 1.4.24
>
> My web app is running from ROOT (www.xxxx.com/index.htm) and using HTTPS with self
>signed cert.
>
> I general my web app works fine.  However, I randomly get "DNS error"
> 'the web page cannot be displayed' (IE 6).  This occasionally happens on
> any given page, and after the error, a 'refresh' brings the page up
> normally.  It's difficult to even reproduce the error because it's so
> inconsistent.
>
> Any ideas?

This error is coming from your browser client (IE), not from Tomcat.

Tomcat doesn't need to do any DNS lookups to perform its job (unless you
have access logging on and have asked it to resolve host names, but even
then it would not mess up completion of the request).

It is most likely a browser bug.

Craig