On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Maninder S Batth wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:28:59 -0700
> From: Maninder S Batth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: problem with session tracking and redirection http<---> https
>
> please correct me if i am wrong. Session id could be hijacked anytime if
> it is transmitted as clear text. so once user has loged in , and user
> gets new session id , this session id could be sniffed
> and the person can still be impersonated.??

Yes.

>  how is this related to
> https-->http transitiion?

If the session was originally established on the https connection, the
session id has never been transmitted in the clear, so it cannot be
hijacked except when the application accepts a non-https request for that
session (or the attacker can impersonate an existing SSL session, in which
case we've all got much bigger problems).

If the session was originally established under https, but the application
switches back to http, the session id is transmitted in the clear from
that point on, and is subject to hijacking.  This is the logical flaw we
discussed earlier this week with regards to a request to accept the login
screen on https (to avoid the password being transmitted in the clear) and
then switch back to http for the remainder of the session.  From the
security point of view, this is worse than useless (worse because it gives
you a false sense of confidence).

Craig