Ok here it goes... I am a real newbie to java and tomcat, so please forgive
my ignorance.

I have tomcat 4.1.12 installed on a Mandrake 9.0 machine using the java sdk
version 1.4.1.01. Everything seems to be running ok, tomcat starts and stops
with out errors. I can access the tomcat server page on port 8080, but when
I try to access the admin or the manager pages. When I try the password is
not accepted. I have checked and modified the tomcat4-users.xml to no avail.

When I try the admin page I enter the user name tomcat and the same for the
password, I get this back.
HTTP Status 403 - Access to the requested resource has been denied

----

type Status report

message Access to the requested resource has been denied

description Access to the specified resource (Access to the requested
resource has been denied) has been forbidden.

----

Apache Tomcat/4.1

I have tried several variations, creating new users that are the same as
local users on this box. I have looked for more information but I haven't
had any luck.

James Whittington