On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Dave Patton wrote:

> Ok that sounds good then.  My understanding is that it uses the keystore
> set in the server.xml file.
  Where in server.xml is that set? I couldn't find any mention of a keystore.

>  Are you send ing the request to the right
> port?
  Yes, the URL is set in one of the <init-parameter> tags in web.xml.

>  I didnt see anything in your code below specifying which port to
> hit.  I also found this reference online and may be something to try.
>
> Export the certificate into a .cer file. (With internet explorer, goto
> tools->internet options->content->certificates, and you can export
> them). Once you have the .cer file, you need to place it in a store that
> java can use...
I don't have IE on my redhat 7 server, so I tried this
 keytool -export -alias tomcat -file /var/tomcat4/webapps/docutrak/.cer
this created a .cer file in the main directory of my application.

> In my case, the only certificate I wanted trusted was the one I provided
> in the .cer file, so using keytool (provided with java), I imported the
> certificate to a new store:
>
> keytool -import -alias <insert alias here> -file <insert .cer filename>
> -keystore <storename here>

Here is the output when I did this:
----
[root@rho docutrak]# keytool -import -alias tomcat -file .cer -keystore tomcat
Enter keystore password:  changeit
Owner: CN=rho.abstrax.nan, OU=Abstrax, O=Abstrax, L=Mesa, ST=AZ, C=US
Issuer: CN=rho.abstrax.nan, OU=Abstrax, O=Abstrax, L=Mesa, ST=AZ, C=US
Serial number: 3d9c7da3
Valid from: Thu Oct 03 10:25:55 MST 2002 until: Wed Jan 01 10:25:55 MST 2003
Certificate fingerprints:
         MD5:  D5:1B:9C:F0:04:0C:60:20:6B:7C:77:CE:62:CA:E8:ED
         SHA1: 75:C2:10:66:A3:65:3B:97:5E:7E:EE:4F:E5:67:AE:EC:DD:71:87:07
Trust this certificate? [no]:  y
Certificate was added to keystore
---
which seemed to be just as it should.  After I did this, there was a
file named tomcat in my main directory.

> If you are using a new store name, it should create a file in the
> current directory with the <storename> you entered. Now, to make the
> trustManager look in this store during initialization with your
> application, you can need to set the javax.net.ssl.trustStore and
> javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword properties (either during runtime, or
> at the command prompt)
>
> At the command prompt, it'd look like this:
>
> java -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=<storename>
> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=<password>
Since this was a servlet, I wasn't sure how to pass in command line
parameters, so I added this code to my servlet just before trying to
make the connection:

System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore","/var/tomcat4/webapps/docutrak/tomcat");
  System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword","changeit");

does that have the same affect  as the -d command line parameter?

After doing all this, I executed my servlet from the browser with
the same result:
 javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: certificate_unknown