Jake

Are you sure that Tomcat isn't already running as a service?  If
Tomcat is already listening to the ports that a new instance would
try to listen to, then you would get that behavior.  The window would
just close.  For easier debugging, you might want to open a command
prompt and cd to where the tomcat startup batch files are and run them
via the command line rather than double clicking the batch files.
That way, you should see some error messages in the console.

I ran the startup.bat file and got the same behavior.  I see results on the
screen for a second, then the screen disappears.  The shutdown results do
stay in the original window.  However, I'm getting error message connected
with the sshutdown.  Here they are:

C:\Tomcat\Tomcat 4.1\bin>shutdown
Using CATALINA_BASE:   c:\Tomcat\Tomcat 4.1
Using CATALINA_HOME:   c:\Tomcat\Tomcat 4.1
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: c:\Tomcat\Tomcat 4.1\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\j2sdk1.4.1
Catalina.stop: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:579)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:402)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.j

ava:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

What is the cause of this exception?  What do I need to do to fix it?

Thanks for your help

Ann