On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:02:29 -0500 (EST)
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: filter-mapping,process /* except /x?
>
> Is there a way to have a filter not run on a specific mapping?
> For example, if you have a filter-mapping of "/*" this will be invoked
> for every single resource in the container.

The legal syntax for a filter URL pattern is the same as for a servlet
mapping:
* Exact match (/foo).
* Path match (/foo/*).
* Extension match (*.foo).
* Default servlet (/).

> How can you prevent the filter from running against one particular
> servlet (besides doing skip logic in the filter code)?

Skip logic is it.

> BTW, what I am trying to do is to implement security using a filter.
> However, I want the login page to be displayed (not run through the
> filter).

Tomcat has a similar problem with the form login page when you have a
security constraint mapped to "/*".  The solution was the same as what you
need to do -- specific logic to exempt your login page from the
restrictions that your filter imposes.

> Thanks!

Craig