> Platform: Intel PIII, RedHat 7.2, apache 1.3.20, ajp1.3
>         tomcat 4.1.12, BlackDown Java SDK 1.3.1,
>         Struts 1.1-b2, xerces-j 1.4.4

> When I run with tomcat 3.3 my webapp run as expected, but when I try
> it with tomcat 4.1.12, I get a VerifyError when creating one of the
> webapp's Action beans.  The error output is attached to the end of
> this message.
[snip!]
> The <action> definition from struts-config.xml, is:

>     <action    path="/main"
>                type="no.dod.TPS.corba.stb.WelcomeAction"
>                scope="request">
>       <forward name="success"      path="/stb/main.jsp"/>
>     </action>
[snip!]
> [ERROR] RequestProcessor - -No action instance for path /main could be created
><java.lang.VerifyError: (class: no/dod/TPS/corba/stb/WelcomeAction, method: doPerform
>signature:
>(Lorg/apache/struts/action/ActionMapping;Lorg/apache/struts/action/ActionForm;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;Lno/dod/T>

The problem is releated to the use of org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
in the Action bean it can't create.

A call to SAXParser.setContentHandler(), can be left in place, but
when I remove the calls to SAXParser.reset() and SAXParser.parse(), (I
have to remove both) the VerifyError problem goes away.

But of course the Action bean isn't very functional.

I thought this might have something to do with colliding versions of
xerces.jar, so I've replaced
 <pathelement location="${deploy.home}/WEB-INF/lib/xerces.jar"/>
with
 <pathelement location="/usr/share/java/xerces.jar"/>
,removed xerces.jar from the WEB-INF/lib directory of the compiled
webapp, and done a complete rebuild of the webapp, but I still get the
VerifyError.

I belive /usr/share/java/xerces.jar, which is the the version
installed by the xerces-j 1.4.4 RPM, is the version used by tomcat
4.1.12 (is there a way to find out what xerces.jar file it loads?).

Any hints and guesses that might shed some light on this problem, are
appreciated!

Thanx!

- Steinar