I didn't notice the java processes thrashing. When I checked task manager it was just the tomcat.exe that was at high cpu usage.
I also don't know where the tomcat.exe comes from, presumably someone builds it at the same time they build the install wizard etc.

You could try -Xloggc:<file>
(from JDK1.4.1 - no idea if it exists on anything earlier)

Christopher Watson wrote:

Many thanks Ben

I've similarly NOT YET seen the >90% CPU on a
jdk1.4 and tomcat 4.1.12 system I set up
with much the same webapps as the one that's "thrashing"

I noticed some old mailing list messages related to this problem that talked
about garbage collection,
and I had begun to wonder whether >90% CPU was a jdk problem rather than a
tomcat problem
and your experience supports this.

Do you - or anyone else - know the pedigree of tomcat.exe?
Is it basically JavaService?

Also, has anyone any ideas how I might get -verbose:gc output from it?
I can do this with catalina_opts for catalina.bat,
but adding the -verbose:gc parameter to the registry key for the NT service
doesn't seem to result in any output for -verbose:gc,
though the -Xms64m and -Xrs parameters I've added do seem to be actioned.

Thanks again Ben