Howdy ;)

>Well, Yoav, it is very much the same defaults when I installed it...

The default Catalina.sh only uses JAVA_OPTS within the commands, not
sets it.  You didn't post your Catalina.sh, you posted your
Catalina.out.  So it's impossible for us to look at Catalina.sh.

And as someone else pointed out, the bind exception is caused because
your server (or something else) is still running on that port when you
try to start up.  Make sure the server (or whatever is running on that
port) is dead, or else change the tomcat port, and the error will go
away.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.