On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Turner, John wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:20:18 -0500
> From: "Turner, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: System user accounts required to use manager in 4.1.12?
>

> That's a shame.  Certainly doesn't make much sense, either.  What's the use
> of the Manager app then?  Might as well just use the command line.  From the
> docs:
>
> "The war parameter specifies a URL (including the file: scheme) for either a
> directory or a web application archive (WAR) file. "
>
> Actually, it looks like it does work, I just wasn't using "jar".  Also from
> the docs:
>
> jar:file:/absolute/path/to/a/warfile.war!/ - The URL to a local web
> application archive (WAR) file. You can use any syntax that is valid for the
> JarURLConnection class for reference to an entire JAR file."
>
> It's supposed to work via HTTP PUT.

The "deploy" command does indeed do a PUT, so it can upload a WAR to a
remote Tomcat instance.  You won't be able to directly do this with a
browser, through -- the most common mechanism is to use the custom Ant
task (so that you can easily script it) that is included with Tomcat 4.1.
See the Manager docs for more info:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html

Alternatively, front-end management tools (such as the "deploytool" GUI
included in the Java Web Services Developer Pack) can transparently use
this approach behind the scenes for you.

The "install" command does not copy the webapp -- it simply "mounts" it in
place, so the directory or WAR needs to be on the same filesystem as the
Tomcat instance.  This is a lot faster during development, which is why it
exists separately.  It also works directly from the browser.

> John

Craig