On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Turner, John wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:18:54 -0500
> From: "Turner, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: System user accounts required to use manager in 4.1.12?
>

> Is a form-based method for uploading the WAR files worth exploring?  Or was
> there a specific decision made at some point to skip that?  I was honestly
> surprised that I couldn't just use a standard "browse" button to pick a WAR
> file off my local drive and send it to the server for deployment, security
> issues aside.

The "deploy" option was designed the way it was to make tool integration
easy, not to be used directly by users.  The same basic philosophy was
followed for all the other commands -- they were intended to be interacted
with by programs, not people.

That being said, a file upload based remote deployment mechanism is
certainly feasible, as long as you have the appropriate server-side logic
to decode the data out of the request (like the library included with
Struts).  I just think this functionality would belong in something like
the admin webapp, rather than manager -- putting a human UI on the manager
webapp is misguided, IMHO.

> John

Craig