Did you try a servlet mapping?

Here, maybe like so:

        <servlet>
                <servlet-name>view</servlet-name>
                <display-name>view</display-name>
                <description>
                        A picture of my hairy balls.
                </description>
                <servlet-class>org.foo.BallViewer</servlet-class>
        </servlet>

        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>view</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>*/</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>

<welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>/view</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

I've never used the pattern */, but it should work.

If that doesn't work, you can use a filter. Implement the Filter interface.

doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response, FilterChain chain){

    String reqURL = request.getRequestURL.toString();

  // Need we invoke the BallViewer?
    if(reqURL.trim().endsWith("/")){

    }

}

Implementing a filter will ultimately give you the most power.

Garrett

--- Rajkumar Sen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello
>      How do I make a servlet to be the default file rather than
> the index.jsp file??Basically I want to use the servlet to act as a proxy.
> I tried modifying the welcome list in web.xml file ,replacing index.jsp by
> servletname.class but the browser asks the user to download the .class
> file instead of displaying it??
>
> Rajkumar Sen
> MTech 1 CSE
> IIT Bombay