From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Over-aged Newbie needs some help
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:20:05 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Steve R Burrus wrote:

> Hi, I need some degree of help/assistance from someone re. just how exactly you
> go about starting to build or create JSP's or Servlets in the Tomcat container!!!
> Do you first establish a "context" or something??! And, then if that's the case,
> where do you go from there anyway? Incidentally, I am still "basking" in the
> afterglow of just being able to install Tomcat!!!

One useful starting point is packaged with Tomcat itself -- the
Application Developer's Guide. If you've installed a default Tomcat, it
will be available at:

http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/appdev/

or online at:

http://jakarta.apache.org:8080/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/

For more background on servlet and JSP concepts and development, I
recommend the Java Web Services Tutorial, which has many chapters on the
web technologies that Tomcat implements:

http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.0/tutorial/index.html

Craig