Hey everybody,

   Thanks for all of the replies.  I was actually
testing this code on the actual production web server
(which I shouldn't have been doing in the first place)
and when I found out that I was unable to execute any
programs while logged on as myself I assumed it was a
shortcoming of running Tomcat as a service.  However
if I run the same JSP page using a browser on another
computer, it works fine.  Rodrigo and Jacob were right
in that checking the "Allow service to interact with
desktop" this JSP page will properly execute any
programs or shell commands while I am logged onto the
web server computer as a user thereby allowing me to
test that my code is functioning correctly.  Newbie
mistake.  Anyways, thanks to everyone who replied.