We switched from JServ to tomcat about 2 months ago.

for our production setup we use mod_webapp
and set the appBase to be the apache web_root.

    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="false" appBase="/var/www/html"
     acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

This means that every thing goes through apache (a must)
and that tomcat serves all the content (Its all servlets and JSP)
Which may not be at all what you want.