Hello David!

On 25 Nov 2002 at 9:25, David Brown wrote:

> Andreas Probst writes:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > don't put the class files and jars, which you need for an
> > applet, below WEB-INF. Tomcat won't serve these files to the
> > user's browser. Just put these files in your webapp's
> > directory. If you need the same classes also on the server,
> > than you need to have two copies of them.
> >
> > Hope this solves your problem.
> >
> > Andreas

older messages deleted

> Hello Andreas, thanx 4 the accurate and speedy reply. i (on a
> hunch) put my applet class under /webapps and can now load which
> ur message confirms (thanx). the history of this applet started
> out as a java standalone which works perfectly from any remote
> client. however to avoid downloads and client compiles i decided
> to convert the standalone to an applet. the applet depends on
> classes12.jar (or classes12.zip if on windoz). again, class not
> found exception because of classes found in classes12.jar. again,
> on a hunch, i unpacked the jar under /webapss along w/ the applet
> class (i know this is a poor solution but it helped throw light).
> when the applet loads i can see that i completes some of the
> init() but eventually hangs w/ the following: Exception:
> java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for
> basename Connection.locale en_US
>
> i know the best solution is for the applet to find the packed jar
> and then all should be ok but how? i have put the jar everywhere:
> classpath, build.xml property, $TOMCAT_HOME/lib,
> $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib, etc.. any and all ideas, references,
> rants and raves welcomed. david.

I think this sounds like an applet problem, which has nothing to
do with Tomcat. You should now design your application to run
as a normal applet. Package it and put every resource that it
needs where I had described before.

I don't know, whether I've understood you right. In case you
only need to provide an applet without associated servlets, you
won't need Tomcat. A normal web server, which serves static
content, will be enough and probably the better performing
solution.

Regards,
Andreas