Does anyone know of a reason why response.setContentType() would only
sometimes set my content type?

I have a single control servlet which sets content type explicitly

response.setContentType("text/html");

just before it opens an outputStream and writes an XSLT transformation to
out.  For 70% of my pages the contentType is correct.  For 30% of them (even
the pages otherwise work perfectly fine) the header info is messed up. There
is no contentType specified and contentLenght is 0.  Very strange. In these
pages (their control classes I do not do anything specific to the response
object that is any different from the other pages.  In the XsLTs I specify
output as HTML on all the pages.  Very confusing.

Any thoughts as to why this might happen or how to correct it?  I think it
may be causing me search engine indexing problems.

Thanks.
Neal