and one in server/lib. I have seen cases where that was the only
configuration I could find that would work.

Larry

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/27/02 14:23 PM >>>
I'm very familiar with that doc.

The question is - If the class loader loaded the jar, then why would my
init
app throw a NoClassDefFoundError exception.  And not throw it when the
jar
is in the classpath.

Subir

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Meadors [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 12:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Classloader/Classpath problem

Talking about "the class loader" with tomcat is a vast
over-simplification.

Look here for more:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Larry

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/27/02 12:53 PM >>>
Hi,

When I start Tomcat I get a NoClassDefFoundError exception. I'm
including a
snippet from the logs.  As you can see, the Classloader loads
wmsyslog.jar
which contains Syslog.class, but then fails with a NoClassDefFoundError
.  I
have a ServeletContextListener that initializes the system on Context
startup.  However, if I put jars in the classpath, TC sees the jars and
starts up.  Does anyone know why it this would happen even thought the
class
loader has loaded the jar.

I'm running TC 4.0.4 on RH Linux 7.3.

TIA,
Subir

WebappLoader[]: Deploy JAR /WEB-INF/lib/wmsyslog.jar to
/home/subir/www/tomcat/webapps/walmart/WEB-INF/lib/wmsyslog.jar
WMStandardManager[]: ##### in start(): WMStandardManager
WMStandardManager[]: Seeding random number generator class
java.security.SecureRandom
WMStandardManager[]: Seeding of random number generator has been
completed
ContextConfig[]: Added certificates -> request attribute Valve

PropFile: /home/subir/www/conf/init.conf
StandardContext[]: Exception sending context initialized event to
listener
instance of class com.tc.WMContextListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/wm/syslog/Syslog
        at com.wm.sys.Main._load_props(Main.java:195)
        at com.wm.sys.Main.getProperty(Main.java:52)
        at
com.tc.WMContextListener.contextInitialized(WMContextListener.java:12)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:
3188)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3404)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:638)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:343)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:388)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:506)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:781)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

StandardContext[]: Context startup failed due to previous errors
Context destroyed on Wed Nov 27 10:38:46 PST 2002.