From: "Reynir Hübner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 10:19 AM
Subject: thread comunicating with ServletContexts

Hi,

I have a slight problem....

I am starting up a thread when application starts with a
ServletContextListener implementation. The purpouse of the thread is to
monitor a directory that has few xml descriptor files in it.
Attributes from the XML files are parsed into the ServletContext on startup
of the ServletContext, and then it's possible to trigger reload by executing
a servlet, that does the reload.

Right now the initial load and the reload by servlet are working, The thread
is monitoring the directory every 10 seconds it checks if anything has been
modified (works fine).

The problem I am facing right now is to find a way to pass the attributes
read by the Thread (instanciated in a listener) from the xml files,  into
the ServletContext.

One way of doing it might be to run a HTTPUrlConnect against the servlet
that can then reload the attributes from the xml files, that might work, but
then I will have to worrie about some authentication, etc. That I dont want
to have to think about right now.

I tried passing a ServletContext variable  to the ServletContext to the
Thread, but that seems to lock up the webapplication, meaning the thread
runs fine but nothing else.

I'm tired and I think I must be not thinking straight, can someone help me ?
:)

Thanx
-reynir