Java threads under Linux show up as individual processes when you do a
top or anything similar.  The number of threads (Linux processes) that
Tomcat creates will of course depend on the application you're
deploying, i.e. if your app starts up a lot of threads for whatever
reason you're going to see those show up as additional processes.  I
don't know the exact number off the top of my head but I would estimate
that Tomcat itself starts < 30 threads, of course this number also
depends on the number of request processors you specify in your
server.xml.  In my experience any app that has 525 threads running needs
to be looked at immediately.

Having one or more open database connections is okay if you're pooling
the connections in some way.  If the number of physical connections to
your DB is constantly increasing without bound then perhaps you have
another problem to fix.  Using netstat is should be easy to determine
what's going on there.

Jeremy