Thankyou david...  If i run tomcat standalone I can use
request.getRemoteAddr(), request.getRemoteHost(), and
request.getRemoteUser() to get some info I would love to have, but if
apache is in front of tomcat the info is always localhost and null for
the other methods, at least the way I'm doing it... So i was wondering
if there was a way to get the same info i get with tomcat stand alone.

Pretty much what I want to do is run an app that will be open to the
public. It has a section that needs to be protected with ssl. And i
would like to use tomcat standalone but if i use tomcat's ssl, i loose
all objects i placed in the session before i swhitch to https... Is
there a way to be able to access those objects in the non https session?

Thanks!