Here is what i have in server.xml in the context of my app

                <Resource name="jdbc/postgresql" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
                    <ResourceParams name="jdbc/postgresql">
                      <parameter>
                            <name>factory</name>

                      </parameter>
                      <parameter>
                            <name>driverClassName</name>
                            <value>org.postgresql.Driver</value>
                      </parameter>
                      <parameter>
                            <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:postgresql://IP.GOES.HERE.XX/db_name_goes_here</value>
                      </parameter>
                      <parameter>
                            <name>username</name>
                            <value>TheUserNameGoesHere</value>
                      </parameter>
                      <parameter>
                            <name>password</name>
                            <value>ThePasswordGoesHere</value>
                      </parameter>
                      <parameter>
                            <name>maxActive</name>
                            <value>50</value>
                      </parameter>
                      <parameter>
                            <name>maxIdle</name>
                            <value>10</value>
                      </parameter>
                      <parameter>
                            <name>maxWait</name>
                            <value>-1</value>
                      </parameter>
                    </ResourceParams>

then my web.xml

  <resource-ref>
    <description>postgreSQL Datasource</description>
    <res-ref-name>jdbc/postgresql</res-ref-name>
    <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

The following class provides connections from the pool:

import java.sql.Connection;
import javax.naming.Context;
import javax.naming.InitialContext;
import javax.sql.DataSource;

/**
 * Class Pool provides pooled connections from JNDI data source.
 *
 */
public class Pool {

    /**
     * Method Pool creates a database pool
     */
    public Pool() {
        System.err.println("Pool Initialized");
    }

    /**
     * Method getConnection.
     * @return Connection
     */
    public static Connection getConnection() {

        Connection cn = null;

        try {
            Context ctx = new InitialContext();
            DataSource ds =
(DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/postgresql");
            if (ds != null) {
                cn = ds.getConnection();
            }
        }
        catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace(System.err);
        }

        return cn;
    }
}

And to get a connection and use it, just declare like:

Connection cn = Pool.getConnection();

And that's it!