Howdy,
This is a common, and will become even more prevalent, question. ;)  Mr.
Schnack's answer explains a big part of it: right now we still have a
lot of users using JDK's older than 1.4.  A JDK 1.4 requirement is not
possible for the 4.x branch of tomcat.

For Tomcat 5.x, there may be some discussion about this requirement, but
I doubt it's going to happen.

I also think most people working on tomcat recognize that the Apache
http is great at what it does: so why re-invent the wheel?  Especially
when we barely have enough time to keep our wheel (tomcat) rolling...
NIO fits in, IMHO (and I'm not speaking for any other developers) as a
cool thing to do once we have a JDK 1.4 requirement, but insufficient by
itself to make JDK 1.4 required.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

high-performance IO
>> capabilities, such as select loops, which could allow Java to serve
>static
>> content as fast as Apache can.  Will Tomcat be going in the direction
of
>> using a NIO-based connector that might incorporate these
high-performance