> if I put all the jars in every context, how memory consuming is this?

since web application's class loader looks at your WEB-INF/classes/
and WEB-INF/lib/*jar first it loads a class per application. So if
you have say ten applications and they use an identical class say A
that is say 20K your memory consumption is 20K * 10. While if you put
it in common/lib or commmon/classes it will only occupy 20K

So you are wasting about 20K * 9 much memory on this particular
class.

I think that ClassLoader HOWTO on tomcat web site is an excellent
resource to look at when you decide where to put your classes and
avoid wasting memory.

> Would it be better to make an accurate analysis of the classes in
> every jar
> and put in the CLASSPATH of every application only those classes (or jars)
> that are different between the applications?

Sure, taht sounds like a good idea.

Alex.