While "contentType" is very important, I think that the attribute that you
want is "pageEncoding".  In a JSP/1.2 container like Tomcat 4.1.12 this
tells Tomcat what the charset of the physical jsp file itself is.  Since you
say that you are using Unicode, try:
<%@page pageEncoding="UTF-8" %>

"Mike W-M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
026201c2a1e0$c54d9f20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:026201c2a1e0$c54d9f20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> That's clearer.
> My email client isn't showing the chinese characters, actually.  I'm sure
> both that fact and your problem are related to
character-encoding...(though