I'm currently working (independently!) with Oracle's BC4J application /
persistence framework (against a transactional MySQL database).
The framework is supposed to be client independent, and JDeveloper (with
which the framework comes) provides tools for generating / designing both
thick and thin-web-based clients against the same "backend logic
implementation".  (My quotes, not theirs!  I can't vouch for their clients
since I'm hand-coding my own JSPs - primarily because the wizard-created
JSPs didn't suit (and looked rubbish!) at the time (and I had enough to
learn)   - and basically using BC4J for managed persistence (in place of
EJBs).)

If you're at the stage where you're just learning that J2EE doesn't
necessarily mean EJBs (and that Tomcat doesn't support them!) then you've
got a pretty steep learning curve ahead of you.  I'd urge you to try to take
a generative or framework approach to building your application and NOT to
start trying to hand-code an enterprise app from scratch. [I suspect the
same is true of dotNet as well?]

I don't have a wide breadth of experience in Java - hopefully others will
have more to add - but I'd recommend you take a look at JDeveloper / BC4J
(It's low-cost, too!).

Mike.