On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Garrett Smith wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:05:46 -0800 (PST)
> From: Garrett Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: HttpSessionListener beforeSessionDestroyed? no,
>      HttpSessionActivationListener
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks much, Noel. I don't waste my time trying to write my own implementation.
>
> You know, it's not a very appropriate name for what I want to do. I'd like
> HttpSessionDeactivationListener or maybe to have this in HttpSessionListener
> would be most appropriate. It's not something that's intuitively found from the
> Javadoc. You just look and say, "HttpSessionActivationListener: not the kind of
> thing I'm looking for."
>

> Also, sessionWillPassivate? how about sessionWillDeactivate or
> sessionWillBeDestroyed? I don't like that method name.

As it happens, passivate and activate are the terms used by the EJB spec
for the same concept, so it makes sense to me to use them here as well.
It's also not the same thing as being notified before a session expires --
these events would typically only be fired when a session is moved from
one JVM to another in a distributed system.  The name is correct for what
it *does*, not what you wish it would do :-).

At any rate, this is the wrong place to discuss changes to the servlet
spec or any of the javax.servlet APIs.  That's done by the JSR-154 expert
group.  Send your recommendations to:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

although I can pretty much assure you that no one on the expert group will
be much interested in breaking backwards compatibility for a change like
this.

Craig