From: Peng Tuck Kwok [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 5:00 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat setup question.

Tomcat comes with servlet.jar, which has all the classes you need. Or you can download a copy from Sun Microsystems as well. Just point your compiler to the servlet.jar or add it to the classpath.
If you unpack the servlet.jar with winzip you'll see what I mean. Plus I think it is javax.servlet, not java.servlet.

Patrick Martz wrote:

Ok this is exactly my problem. These aren't MY jar files. These are jar
files that came with Tomcat. Apparently, the standard J2SDK does NOT come
with the servlet classes that I need to compile java servlets. So
therefore,

when I try to import java.servlet.* it fails miserably. Even the classes
that come WITH Tomcat itself (for example, HelloWorldExample in the
examples

directory) are not compilable. Therefore, clearly, something needs to be
done so that the java compiler can find these packages. Exactly what that
is

I do not know and would be very appreciative if anyone could help!