Sorry, maybe someone else can answer your question.  I'm just not
understanding the problem.  I have a RH 7.3 test box setup, with two virtual
hosts (one is localhost, the other is some.server.com), and the welcome
files display correctly.  If it isn't working for you, I would suggest that
the issue is with your virtual hosting configuration, not your welcome
file/index.html configuration.

John