* John Brayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [1202 15:02]:
> Paul Campbell wrote:
> >JAVA_HOME is set in my profile and I have verified
> >by echo $JAVA_HOME. Initially, I had it set to a
> >symbolic link /var/java but made it explicit with the same result
>
> A couple things to check:
>
> Verify that you have (either in your profile or manually) typed "export
> JAVA_HOME".  This will make the environment variable available inside
> other scripts, such as the Tomcat start/stop script.

Watch that, not all shells understand 'export FOO=bar', sometimes you need
BAR=foo
export FOO

(Solaris sucks even harder than usual in this respect).

Sticking these two lines in startup.sh and shutdown.sh makes it happy.
I don't like changing /etc/profile because

a) not all shells grok it
b) sometimes I use ropey development JVMs, and I usually want tomcat
to use a stable one