Ken,

Let me qualify this before giving you a possibility.

I have just started working with Tomcat as a
programmer (I'm mostly a system admin / integrator /
architect).  And as another person on the mailing list
has pointed out, I am not a part of any apache.org
development team.

That said, I thought I would do a little bit of
research on your problem and try to help.

I'm using as a reference "Java Servlet Programming,
Second Edition" by Jason Hunter with William Crawford.

On pages 216-218, session timeout is discussed.  It
appears that the following snippet of xml should be
placed in your web application web.xml file.

<session-config>
  <session-timeout>
    60
  </session-timeout>
</session-config>

This sets the session timeout to 60 minutes.  Before
going on, I noticed that the session timeout in the
Tomcat web.xml is set at 30 minutes (at least in my
installation of 4.1.12).  So I am not sure where your
60 minute timeout is coming from.

The book also goes on to say that the session timeout
can be configured individually for a session with
getMaxInactiveInterval() and setMaxInactiveInterval().

The methods take (int) seconds as the argument, not
minutes.

tracking API and how to manage long term sessions.
The session tracking API section ends on page 229.

In short, there should be something useful in there
that can help you out of your problem.

I hope I've not been too pendantic and that this gives
you enough information to help you solve your problem.

/mde/

just my two cents . . . .