Here is the link to the jasper doc for jsp compilation

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jasper-howto.html

You will need to modify the checkInterval param in the conf/web.xml file of
your tomcat server, it defaults to 300 secs.  so tomcat only checks every 5
mins for a new doc

for a 30 sec this should work
<init-param>
            <param-name>checkInterval</param-name>
            <param-value>30</param-value>
        </init-param>

However by default 4.1 is set up to check on every file access, you might
try forcing this with
<init-param>
            <param-name>development</param-name>
            <param-value>true</param-value>
        </init-param>

These will work for 4.1, I do not know if 4.0 has similar params but I have
noticed that 4.0 does seem slow in recognizing new jsp pages.  Most of the
apps we support run off of servlet so I have not spent much time tunning the
jsp servlet

Jeff