Denise:

You shouldn't have to open up port 8009 to the ouside world; that's for internal communication between Tomcat and Apache. Users outside the firewall still come in through port 80.

Jerry

Denise Mangano wrote:

Hi all :)

So this is where I stand. I added all appropriate (I think) JkMount
statements, in my httpd.conf file instead of using the mod_jk.conf. My
situation: http://localhost works,
http://localhost:8080/examples/servlets/index.html works,
http://localhost/examples/servlets.index.html does NOT work. When I try to
attempt any Tomcat pages without the :8080 it hangs indefinitely.

I am getting pretty desperate, so I am seriously considering opting for
mod_webapp, but I would prefer to get this working... On Tomcat startup no
problems. On Apache startup, it shows mod_jk is configured. After
attempting to access some pages I checked the logs and the only errors seems
to occur in the mod_jk.log file (I attached a WordPad doc of the errors).

I'm starting to wonder if the following might be my problem. Stupid
question, but are my static pages supposed to be in my webapps folder in my
$CATALINA_HOME directory??? If so, then the last thing Justin mentioned to
add into my httpd.conf file would now make sense:

# Static files in the examples webapp are served by apache
JkAutoAlias /var/tomcat4/webapps/dev.jscs-inc.com
I omitted this, because I am serving my static pages from the /var/www/html/
directory (that is my document root in my httpd.conf file), and didn't
understand what this directive meant. Could it be that this is my problem?

Also, I notice that the worker listens on port 8009. Although my server has
a public IP address, it is accessed through a firewall. Therefor I needed
to open ports 80, 8080, etc on my firewall in order for the pages to be
viewed. Do I need to open port 8009?

Thanks in advance! "Calling all cars" ;)
Denise