Denise,
   What version of Tomcat are you using?  One thing to remember is that
the CoyoteConnector JkHandler in Tomcat 4.1.(7?) up to about 4.1.14
looked into jk2.properties file for its configuration, ignoring the port
value specified in server.xml.  Then what it did was assume you wanted
some particular port value (I thought it was 8009, it may be different),
and if that port was in use it would go to the next one.  This shifting
port value was a royal pain, and this setup also wasn't conducive to
using multiple Tomcat instances.
  So, in about version 4.1.14, Costin changed the JkHandler to honor
the values set in server.xml.

Maybe your problem is that sometimes the java-side Coyote connector WAS
listening on 8009, sometimes it wasn't.  I would move to a later release
(4.1.18?) and try again, since in that version what you have in
server.xml will work, and you just need to ensure it is in sync with
what mod_jk is looking at (workers.properties typically), and that the
worker name in that same file is in sync with the JkMount statements.
Every time I've gotten all of the "ducks in a row" like this I've gotten
it to work.  (On NetWare and Windows, at least).

Jeff Tulley  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
(801)861-5322
http://www.novell.com

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/23/02 10:41:50 AM >>>
Jeff,

Wow, this is very strange.  You got me curious as well, and I did
change it
back to "0" (mind you I was very scared to) .  Oddly enough,
everything
still works.  I even tried executing some of the examples that I
hadn't
accessed yet to make sure it wasn't working from classes that were
built
previously, and it still works like a charm.  If it wasn't the
connection
timeout setting then I haven't a clue what would have made it start
working....

Denise Mangano
Help Desk Analyst
Complus Data Innovations, Inc.