I have to concur with the following observation.

Try to check what the apache processes are doing. If you've enabled
server-status on your box and have installed GET (as part of the perl
LWP) grep for the pid

GET /server-status | grep <pid-of-proc>

or access it http://<server-name>/server-status

On older tomcat versions (i.e. 3.2.1), it would seem that older
clients (i.e. HTTP/1.0) would hang up on the POST part

ie.

POST /path/to/form/process.jsp HTTP/1.0

Typically my only recourse is to kill the offending process and/or
restart tomcat and apache.

kill -9 <pid-of-proc>

Hope that helps

-Jan-Michael