Hi all,

Using Tomcat-4.1.x, I can have separate instances of Tomcat running which access their own shared/lib folder. In Tomcat-5.0 latest nightly build, that doesn't seem to be the case.

For instance, using Tomcat-4.1.18, if I have some jars in CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib and I start up a new tomcat instance with CATALINA_BASE set as something other than CATALINA_HOME, the jars in CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib will *not* be loaded. Instead, jars will be loaded from CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib (if it exists). This is the behavior I expect and love!

However, using Tomcat-5.0, if I set things up the same way, jars in CATALNIA_HOME/shared/lib *will* be loaded and jars in CATALNIA_BASE/shared/lib are completely ignored....or it could be that it is picking up both of them, but loading jars in CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib first and then looking in CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib. If a jar in the latter contains the same packages that were already loaded in the former, then the latter is ignored. Either way, Tomcat-4.1.x completely ignores CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib if CATALINA_BASE is set and is different from CATALINA_HOME where Tomcat-5 loads CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib jars no matter what. This is behavior that I don't expect and don't like.

I used the ability to separate instances to run apps which required different versions of xerces. I put xerces-1.4.4.jar in CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib for apps which I use most often. However, I have other apps that need either slightly modified version of xerces-1.4.4 or require xerces-2.x.x. For those cases, I run a separate instance of Tomcat using a custom set CATALNIA_BASE with a local shared/lib with the appropriately versioned jars that I need for this particular app.

So, this is a great feature in Tomcat-4.1.x (and, I imagine, Tomcat-4.0.x) but it seems to be broken in Tomcat-5.0. Is this new behavior in Tomcat-5.0 a bug or was it intentional? If it was intentional, can someone explain the reasons for the change in behavior to that of Tomcat-4.1.x?

Thanks,

Jake