Denise,

> How would your original select look for the states?

Not sure what you are asking, but I'll take a stab, and you can come back
and correct me.

The "NY" is all you need to keep in the bean.  I assume that somewhere you
have a loop that emits the <option> tags.  When the value you are about to
emit for the value attribute is equal to getState(), then you add the
"selected" attribute to that tag.  For the initial request, when there is no
such value, nothing would be selected, so the first entry at the top could
be something like "Select a State".

        --- Noel