From: Ben Ricker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 3:13 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.x and Java Processes

Are you using Linux? Linux shows in-process threads as processes. If you
are running Linux, then you are seeing threads within the Java process.
You would expect to see a number of threads even with your simple
config.

Ben Ricker

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 14:07, Troy J. Kelley wrote:
> I've been looking all over for the answer to this and can't seem to
find
> a good answer.
>
> My basic question is that when I start up a *very* basic tomcat config
> (JMX Support, HTTP Listener, one engine, one host, once context) I get
> several java processes that look the same:
>

> root      5865  0.0  5.7 227380 29548 ?      S    15:02   0:02
> /usr/java/jdk/bin/java -Djava.endorsed.dirs= -classpath
> /usr/java/jdk/lib/tools.jar:/var/tomcat4/bin/bootstrap.jar
> -Dcatalina.base=/var/tomcat4 -Dcatalina.home=/var/tomcat4
> -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/tomcat4/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
> start
>
> So, why are there so many processes?  I set minProcessors="1"
> maxProcessors="1" for the Coyote HTTP connector to reduce the number
of
> JVMs related to this...
>
> In the WebSphere world a JVM is synonymous with an "Application
Server",
> which services the requests for the modules (WAR/EAR) "installed" into
> the appserver.

> -Troy
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>